Please select your location and preferred language where available.
Kioxia Demonstrates Next Generation NVMe™ SSD Form Factor for Cloud and Enterprise Data Centers
EDSFF (Enterprise and Datacenter SSD Form Factor) E3.S form factor enables higher density and performance driving data center scalability
- June 30, 2020
- Kioxia Corporation
Tokyo – Kioxia Corporation has developed and started shipment of engineering samples of next generation Enterprise & Datacenter SSD Form Factor (EDSFF) E3.S which is being standardized by the SNIA SFF TA Technical Work Group.
E3.S is a new form factor standard for NVMe™ SSDs in Cloud and enterprise data centers, especially targeting PCIe® 5.0 and beyond. The E3.S will contribute to the design and development of next generation systems, such as cloud, hyper-converged and general-purpose servers and All Flash Array (AFA) systems in cloud and enterprise data centers.
The E3.S specification allows for size, power and capacity options, all with a common connector. Designed for future PCIe generations that offer higher power budgets, EDSFF E3.S delivers improved performance, cooling and flexibility over other form factors.
Kioxia’s E3.S engineering samples, based on Kioxia’s CM6 Series PCIe 4.0 NVMe 1.4 SSD in a 2.5-inch form factor, demonstrated approximatery 35% greater performance with the same controller and BiCS FLASH™ 3D TLC flash memory in the EDSFF E3.S form factor with x4 lanes and 28W (+40%) of power.
EDSFF E3.S benefits include
- Higher density of flash storage for more efficient use of power, storage footprint and system rack deployments
- Supports PCIe 5.0 and beyond through improved signal integrity
- Better cooling and thermal characteristics
- Performance and benefits beyond the 2.5-inch form factor version
- Drive status can be shown by LED indicators
- Supports x8 PCIe lane configurations
 EDSFF Working Group promoters include enterprise server system and cloud-service providers such as Dell EMC, Facebook, HPE, Lenovo and others. Kioxia participates as a contributor.
- NVMe is a trademark of NVM Express, Inc.
- PCIe is a registered trademark of PCI-SIG.
- Company names, product names and service names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
Sales Promotion Division
Information in this document, including product prices and specifications, content of services and contact information, is correct on the date of the announcement but is subject to change without prior notice.